Tips to green your home garden
With summer's arrival, the sunshine and warm weather provide the perfect opportunity to spend some time maintaining your home garden.
On a recent visit to the American Horticultural Society headquarters at River Farm, I discovered the Green Garage®. The aim of the Green Garage is to help gardeners seize opportunities to make environmentally conscious decisions. The garage encourages positive behaviors by showcasing tools, equipment, materials and techniques that are earth-friendly and that also contribute to the creation and maintenance of a beautiful and thriving home landscape.
Here are some Green Garage tips to help you green your home garden:
- Be a green consumer
- User water efficiently
- Select the right tool for every job
- Recycle and minimize yard and kitchen waste
- Create a fertile and well-drained environment
- Practice integrated pest management
- Take good care of your soil and use natural fertilizers
- Design an earth-friendly garden with site-appropriate plants
- Protect yourself and the environment
- Be an informed gardener and keep records
- Be part of a green community
Want to learn more? Look for Green Garage tips in The American Gardener magazine.