LEED Homes Awards "Project of the Year" proves residential sustainability can be a reality
The votes are in! The LEED Platinum Owen Residence has won “Project of the Year” in the 2018 LEED Homes Awards. Selected by a people’s choice vote, this project exemplifies how sustainable design enhances comfort and livability in any home.
Replacing their home of 12 years in the historic Heights neighborhood of Little Rock, AR, Ann and Rick Owen set out to build the healthiest, most sustainable home that they could. Their drive to do so led them to certify their home in 2018 and it became the first LEED for Homes v4.1 project in the U.S. and the third in the world.
- Solar: The Owens installed 42 PV panels on their home which produce enough energy to power the 2662 square foot residence and the couple’s two cars.
- Landscaping: To reduce water and chemical usage, the Owens decided to forego a lawn in favor of permeable surfaces. Native plants adorn the property and eight rain barrels are used for irrigation.
- Reuse: When deconstructing their existing home, the Owens took great care in reusing salvageable fixtures, appliances, and materials. These materials were then collected by the local Habitat for Humanity and sold at their ReStore. The property’s grass was also reallocated to a local preschool playground after de-sodding.
- Sustainable Appointing: The interior green features include Energy Star appliances, WaterSense fixtures, recycled glass countertops, LED lighting, locally-sourced glass and mirrors, cast-iron sinks and tubs, vintage and upcycled light fixtures, and no-VOC paint from Sherwin-Williams.
- Community: In addition to working with many local businesses, the Owens opened their home to the community after it was finished. Several hundred community members attended open houses hosted by the LEED homeowners to learn more about residential sustainability.
Through a multitude of efforts, the Owen Residence serves as an example for residential sustainability at the highest level. Congratulations to Ann, Rick, and the entire project team for outstanding work in LEED residential!