Where do I find a Green Home Rater to certify a home for green initiatives?

Asked by fariba haiem LEED AP
Pacific Palisades, CA

I would like to make an addition to an existing house in Culver City. What are the procedures to certify it.


I heard that you need a green rater to provide you with a checklist. Where can I find a rater?


Danny Kelly

Answered by Danny Kelly

Charlotte, NC

Kelly McArdle Construction

July 15, 2010

You are at the right place. You can search right here on this website and find a builder, provider, rater, consultant, etc. Just click on “find a pro.”

If you cannot find who you are looking for here, I would go to the source of the certification you are looking for. Each green building program will typically have a contractor lookup on their website.

  • If you are doing a LEED for Homes house, you will need to find a LEED-H Provider.  There's also a list of LEED Providers on the USGBC website here.
  • If you are doing the National Green Building Standard you will need to find a verifier here.
  • You can also go to the RESNET websitemost RESNET raters are verifiers for the different programs as well.

It is important to assemble a team to design your project that all know what they are doing.

You will need a rater but not all raters will make great consultants - you need to also find a builder and architect that are familiar with green building. Only with a complete integrated team will your project be successful.

Tagged In: leed for homes

Do you have a question about greening your home? GreenHomeGuide invites you to Ask A Pro. Let our network of experienced green building professionals – architects, designers, contractors, electricians, energy experts, landscapers, tile & stone specialists, and more – help you find the right solution.