What type of professional should I hire to move from thinking to doing in the construction of a green log/timber home in upstate NY?

Our goal is to combine passive and active solar for heat/energy and water, along with anything else that would make sense within our budget.


If your goal is to build the most environmentally friendly and healthy residence within your means, I would recommend you hire a licensed architect who is also a LEED AP (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional) to develop the most effective and adequate design that incorporates your needs. Your green architect will recommend consultants to hire and show you how to avoid expensive mistakes, how to obtain permits and how to get federal tax rebates and solar subsidies which are varying by state.

Bob Vila explains nicely why you should hire an architect.

Tagged In: passive solar, leed for homes

Do you have a question about greening your home? GreenHomeGuide invites you to Ask A Pro. Let our network of experienced green building professionals – architects, designers, contractors, electricians, energy experts, landscapers, tile & stone specialists, and more – help you find the right solution.