What are 5 ways to save water around the house?
Please give real reasons, not like taking sea showers or have a bucket collect the excess water while waiting for my shower to heat up. Practical things that I can do that will make an impact.
Here are five steps that I'd recommend.
- Install an on demand circulation pump or put one on a timer. This will avoid having to bleed out the cold water in the line
- Replace fixtures with low flow faucets or shower heads. If replacing is not an option, low flow aerators can be purchased and installed on existing fixtures.
- Replace toilets with a low flow or even better a dual flush toilet. If replacement is not an option, reduce the amount of water in the tank the old fashioned way -- lay a brick or a plastic container in the tank to take up volume.
- Install rain barrels at your downspouts and use for watering plants and cleaning tools, cars, etc.
- Purchase a high efficiency washing machine.
For more information:
Check our article "6 Tips to Save Water in the Kitchen" for more tips.