Question

I believe I'm experiencing severe allergic reactions to our propane fireplace.

Asked by Colleen Baxter
Stevensville, MD

Do propane gas fireplaces give off any fumes? Could it be that it's not properly installed?

Answer

Sean Lintow Sr

Answered by Sean Lintow Sr

Naperville, IL

SLS Construction & Building Solutions

April 26, 2013

Well Colleen that is an interesting question and yes propane can give off some nasty fumes.

My first question though is is this a "vented" or "unvented" unit?

If it is unvented the biggest waste product is generally water vapor which can cause condensation issues leading to mold, mildew, etc... in the house. 

  • If there is incomplete combustion one of the by-products is Carbon Monoxide which can be deadly. The catch with that is it is odorless so that would not explain your allergic reactions.
  • If you don't have a Carbon Monoxide detector, please make sure you do pick one up.
  • As for the allergy aspect, if this is a ventless unit, you could be having issues with the materials used / being burnt off. Is this an all the time or just when used issue?

If this is a vented unit, then you are probably looking at a bad install or the finish used on the unit. The only other option could be whatever might have been disturbed removing your old unit and/or installing your new unit.

 

For more info on the combustion process:

Read Sean's blog post "Safety Sunday: Water Heaters, the Combustion Process & the Draft Hood."

Tagged In: heating cooling

Do you have a question about greening your home? GreenHomeGuide invites you to Ask A Pro. Let our network of experienced green building professionals – architects, designers, contractors, electricians, energy experts, landscapers, tile & stone specialists, and more – help you find the right solution.