I want to replace my water heater with a tankless one. How would I go about this?

Asked by marion
Columbus, MS

How would I go about this


Sean Lintow Sr

Answered by Sean Lintow Sr

Naperville, IL

SLS Construction & Building Solutions

January 2, 2013

Replacing a standard tank heater with an electric tankless one is easy - you need to pick up the phone and call both a licensed electrician and plumber.

  • The plumber will be needed to not only properly size it based on the temperature rise and flow needed, but to also redo the lines as required.
  • The electrician will be needed as the current wiring running to your existing one is not even close to adequate. Not only will they need to update the wiring but make sure that your existing service can handle the load. (Many require 60 to 100 amps, which many houses can't handle)

With only a few rare exceptions, after crunching the numbers most people decide to go with either a


For more information:

Check our tankless tips article "9 Best Practices for Choosing and Installing a Tankless Water Heater" for more advice.

Tagged In: tankless water heater

Do you have a question about greening your home? GreenHomeGuide invites you to Ask A Pro. Let our network of experienced green building professionals – architects, designers, contractors, electricians, energy experts, landscapers, tile & stone specialists, and more – help you find the right solution.