I need to change the air handler on my AC. Will it hinder the performance if I use a different brand?
I changed only the outside AC unit for a Trane XL 14i model 3 years ago. I did not change the air handler at that time because it was working fine. Now I have problems with the ductwork and am planning to replace the ductwork along with the air handler unit. I contacted Trane authorized installers. The quotes I received from 4 of them were unbelievable. I then found an independent AC company who quoted me half of what the others did for installing a variable-speed Luxaire air handler along with changing the ductwork. Will it hinder the performance if I don't go with a Trane unit?
It could, but if the cut-rate guys do everything right it will not hinder performance.
Do your homework and talk to previous customers. If things don't go well, are they going to take care of you?
- Will they install a TXV?
- Will they fill the linesets with nitrogen before soldering?
- Will they use the high % Ag solder or the cheap stuff?
- Will they evacuate the lineset for 1 hour, at least, to remove moisture?
- Will they seal every joint in the ductwork with mastic?
- Do they understand the intricate dynamics of airflow and charge?
For more information:
Check our Find a Pro directory to find a green HVAC contractor in your area.