I am replacing the duct work in my HVAC. I want to used duct board and flex duct with low VOC or no VOC.
I would prefer foil on two sides of duct board and the lining of flex duct is low in odor with formaldehyde free materials.
First, congratulations for working on your ductwork. Leaky ductwork is one of the largest energy wasters in your home.
- Replacing duct work usually requires a permit from your local building department.
- Installing duct work so that it won't leak is difficult.
- To make sure it is installed correclty, a test called a "duct blaster" is required.
With the above caveats if your still ready to DIY, just ask the material supplier to confirm that the products comply with
- California “Practice for Testing of VOCs from Building Materials Using Small Chambers”, or have the
- "Green Guard Children and Schools" certification.
These products will be no, or very low VOC.
For more information:
Read "How do you seal leaky ductwork?" a Q&A answered by David Edwards.