How do I ventilate my well-sealed 18sq meter one room apartment? I live in one of the most polluted part of the city.

Asked by Aderna Nunez, Manila Philippines
Glendale, MA

I live on the 24th floor of the building.  Existing vent/air source are 2 regular sized casement windows, window type AC unit, exhaust in t&b which is not very effective due to poor exhaust power/capacity; main entry door which is not allowed to opened by the admin for a prolonged time.


Polly Osborne, FAIA, LEED AP

Answered by Polly Osborne, FAIA, LEED AP

Los Angeles, CA

Polly Osborne Architects

August 30, 2011

Dear Aderna,

I would recommend the purchase of a "ductless" unit (also called "mini splits.")

  • They install fairly easily, are very efficient, and have a good filter for cleaning the air.
  • Daiken makes a number of models to choose from, as does LG, Mitsubishi and a number of other big name brands.

Before you buy, determine if maintenance and repair are easily available in your area. Personally I have had very good luck with Daiken.

Installation should be done by a professional.

  • They come in wall or ceiling models.
  • Most of them are not too pretty, but better looking than most window units!

They are usually combo units that heat, cool and ventilate and they do all these things very well.

Thanks for the question. 

Tagged In: home air quality

Do you have a question about greening your home? GreenHomeGuide invites you to Ask A Pro. Let our network of experienced green building professionals – architects, designers, contractors, electricians, energy experts, landscapers, tile & stone specialists, and more – help you find the right solution.