During heavy rain at my Seattle house, mold starts growing on the inside of walls that are outside walls. Would central heating help?
I have a central gas wall furnace that heats the entire 720 sq foot house from the center main room. I have a dehumidifier that has helped. My tenants tend to put their couch and bookcases right up against the wall, which I think is the problem because no air is able to flow and therefore mold grows. There is a pristine vapor barrier under the house. Any other ideas that would help with the problem?
This sounds like a tough one, however it's simple.
We first need to know how mold grows--- mold requires water, dirt, and oxygen to grow.
I recommend you find the source of the water leak and seal it. If you have any water penetration into the thermal envelope of a home this could be the leading cause. Material like drywall can hold all three--- water, dirt, and oxygen.
Other possible questions:
- Is it near a bathroom or behind a tub or shower?
- Re-check the vapor barrier?
I can't tell you how many times I have not checked something when somebody told me it was perfect, and later we find is was the problem or not installed correctly. I hope this helps.