Do state government agencies test for VOCs in furniture finish?

Asked by Stvdaw
Olney, MD

We bought dressers from Oaktree Furniture made by Yutzy. After 6 months, the finish smell is still strong and offensive. It actually makes me sick to my stomach. I cannot take living with this any more and I cannot in good conscience sell it. The store will not refund our money. I really do not know what to do.


Kevin Holdridge

Answered by Kevin Holdridge

Charlotte, NC

KDH Residential Design, LLC

June 2, 2011

To my knowledge, no state government agencies test for VOCs in furniture.

Some states require a written warning attached to certain building materials made with urea-formaldehyde.

If you are having symptoms like eye and throat irritation and dizziness and nausea, you may want to purchase a passive formaldehyde monitor for your home, about $80-$110. You leave it in the house for a recommended amount of time and then send it back to the lab for results.

  • Other options are to find a local testing agency and have them come in to test and see how bad the problem is,
  • Or simply get rid of the furniture to remove the problem from your house.

A quick search about Yutzy indicates that their finishes are all coconut-oil based.


For more information:

Read "Do I need an indoor air quality test? How much will it cost?" a Q&A answered by Evan Little.

Also, read "Is there a way to test the air in my home?" a Q&A answered by Cynthia Phakos.

Tagged In: home air quality

Do you have a question about greening your home? GreenHomeGuide invites you to Ask A Pro. Let our network of experienced green building professionals – architects, designers, contractors, electricians, energy experts, landscapers, tile & stone specialists, and more – help you find the right solution.